Sunday, April 17, 2011

7. One Happy Island

To Vacation or Not to Vacation in 2011? It's difficult enough to take two kids to the grocery store--Dreadful to think of having to take a vacation from your anticipated Dream vacation after going away with the family.  Traveling without kids is a true luxury I sure don't have. These days Grandparents have a social life on the weekends, What has this world come too? lol.  But I'm writing to let you know that there is such a thing as a Happy Island.  I got to Live and Breathe the Perfect Island exactly a year ago, May 2010, ARUBA.  Perfect Weather from Dusk till Dawn, all American Currency, Safely Drink the tap water and ice, communicate in both Spanish and English and even most importantly party like a true Rock Star in the presence of your kids.  And seriously about the water, Aruba has one of the best water filtration systems in the world thus makes traveling with kids a piece of mind.

I stayed at the not all inclusive Radisson on Palm Beach walking distance to all the bars, restaurants, nightclubs and local markets (stay in the renovated tower in the main lobby).  No need for cabs or rentals and you can multitask by pushing the stroller with one hand and hold your Cold Drink in the other .  Mike and I tipsy'd our way to Moomba Beach a fun open air bar/restaurant overlooking the water, next to the Marriot and rocked out with the kids.  When your on vacation with kids go to restaurants with live bands and music so that you don't miss out on the night life aspect of your trip.  Mike and I picked up a couple of Cubans and smoked on the hotel balcony while the kids were sleeping.

Major Tip: Crashing Parties in Foreign Countries is a Major Like!  We masked our way into a Mardi Gras Party at the hotel one of the nights.  I'm telling you, I don't miss a beat when it comes to Parties.

Hands down to El Gaucho, the oldest Steakhouse in Aruba.  Best Grouper fish in my life!  Travel the island in an air conditioned tour bus and see the main attractions of this 21 mile island.  You can cover the whole island in one day: California Light House, Alto Vista Chapel, De Palm Island (Water Park), the Natural Bridge and my favorite Baby Beach.  Baby Beach is literally a beach without waves.  Perfect when I'm left alone with an 8 month old and 3 year old while daddy is out snorkeling. =)

Small tips that saved me when traveling with infants, you will pack heavy going to your destination but coming back is a much lighter experience:
Buy all ready made plastic formula bottles (Similac), bring small kid water bottles, disposable bibs and utensils, buy beach toys at your destination, spray on sunscreen, fruit cups, juice boxes, animal crackers and plastic food jars for baby.

On an end note, buying my first house is a Dream Come True but definitely not a Vacation.  But I sure make my Home One Happy Island. 



No comments:

Post a Comment