Wednesday, April 20, 2011

9. Turning Back the Wheel of Time


I recently was asked an Incredible Moment Defining Question.  I had my Best Friends over the house and we were playing a game where each person writes down general questions you want your friends to answer and you toss them in a bowl.  I’ve know my best friends for 14 years and I learned that night that the best part of a friendship just like in any relationship is that no matter how many years go by you can still be surprised in Amazing ways.

My turn, few Mojitos in, my question:  If I can go back in time would I have married my other half and at such a young age? Wow! Take it in, Breathe, Here goes it gets deep.

The question itself couldn’t have come at a better time. I’m facing the biggest contradiction there is right now in my life -- how does a Parent attempt to re-invent themselves? I’m reflecting on all the things I want to do with my time but held back by the choices I made earlier in life.  Let’s throw the word Selfish out the window since becoming a parent is the most selfless act there is in the world.  So I’m thinking of the question and my mind starts to remind me of the opportunities I want to pursue:  a career in fitness/nutrition, travel abroad, learn 5 languages, become a Zumba Instructor, take singing lessons (I’m tone deaf), party in Ibiza, live out at sea, countless cause the show in my mind always goes on…..  One of my weaknesses is my lack of patience.  Technically speaking I can accomplish all these things but I just need to wait a few years.   “Waiting is a trap. There will always be reasons to wait. The truth is, there are only two things in life, reasons and results, and reasons simply don't count.” (R.Anthony)   

I met Mike, aka my Soul Mate, at a defining moment in my life, being raised in a single parent home and I was lacking a Male figure in my life.  I was 13 and I fell in love for the first time and last time.  He was my prince charming that came to my rescue and saved me from facing the awkward stage of adolescence and the cruel reality of my life during that time.  I lived and breathed Michael.  My world revolved around US.  Our first Spring Break came around in college and I invited him to travel along with me on a girl’s trip.  Throw up in your mouth yet? Lol Ok, for one I would definitely go back in time and change that part, lol.  We did grow apart for a bit but we always found our way back to each other.  Not to mention all the beautiful things that came from our togetherness. 
 
On a side note that would be my TOP relationship advice to all couples: always grow together. Be on the Same Beat. 

So I answered my best friends:  “If I had the opportunity to go back in time I wouldn’t have married Michael back then.  GASP!  I would have married him now.  How awesome would it be if I could live a parallel life like in a FRINGE episode?  Turning back the Wheel of Time doesn’t change the fact that Mike and I are meant for each other and hopefully through this outlet I will learn the virtue of patience.  Instead of focusing on the list of things to accomplish back when I was single I need to create new challenges and opportunities that reflect who I am as a person today.  I am a mom, a wife, a daughter, a friend, a sister and I will continue to be a whole lot of things.  I will walk along the foot prints of my boys...

2 comments:

  1. Awesome piece. I really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ James - thank you for all the support and feedback keeps me going. See you for Easter!!

    ReplyDelete